This blog proudly writes from a position that most Americans consider a bit left of center. But I hope to hold positions that are Christian -- not liberal or conservative. As such, this blog protests the flag worship and intolerance of the far right as well as elitist self-righteousness of the far left. It aims at those of us in the middle, strugging to live faithful lives in a complex world.

Sunday, April 17, 2005

Do you advocate the overthrow of the United States Government?

I had an interesting experience on Friday. A friend of mine is applying for some sort of national-defense-related job in Washington, and she listed me as a contact for the obligatory background check. And so, on Friday, I found myself meeting with a quiet man in a gray suit on a quiet, out-of-the-way staircase on Emory's campus.

Among the questions asked was one along these lines: Do you know if [name deleted for security reasons] has a higher loyalty to any organization than to the United States Government?

I said no. But what I would have liked to say was, "Well, she should: It's called the church."

Swearing highest loyalty to anything that is not God -- especially the government of the world's most powerful nation-- should be off-limits for any Christian. And if our government requires such an oath, I think it is morally perilous, at the very least, for any Christian to take such a job.

Wait, is that a knock at my door? Who .... What ... Is that JOHN ASHCROFT?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home