This blog proudly writes from a position that most Americans consider a bit left of center. But I hope to hold positions that are Christian -- not liberal or conservative. As such, this blog protests the flag worship and intolerance of the far right as well as elitist self-righteousness of the far left. It aims at those of us in the middle, strugging to live faithful lives in a complex world.

Sunday, March 13, 2005

Mustard Seed in the Houston Chronicle

For those who are interested, my non-blog debut as an opinion writer occurred today in the Houston Chronicle. Feel free to check it out.

It's on the same bankruptcy bill I addressed earlier, and it argues that, according to the Bible, debt is a moral issue. It also points out that our newest bankruptcy bill is profoundly un-Biblical.

A self critique: How could I forget to mention jubilee in this article. Jubilee was the ancient Hebrew practice, detailed in Leviticus 25, of periodcally declaring a society-wide forgiveness of debt? The practice showed charity and helped level the social playing field in ancient Israel. It was profoundly relevant to my editorial topic. Oops.

Christians of all stripes -- evangelical, Catholic, mainline Protestant -- have also united behind the concept of Jubilee in the very recent past. This broad coalition has already successfully lobbied the governments of affluent nations to forgive some of the foreign debt that cripples many underdeveloped countries. To learn more, click here.

These Christians, from all over the political spectrum, convinced our leaders that caring for the poor was a Christian duty, and that caring for the poor required us to address the problem of debt.

I forgot that. I shouldn't have. It is exactly the sort of broad-based coalition that proves that our unity in Christ can be more than a hollow slogan.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good work, Brazil. I've been enjoying your blog and this opinion piece. I've never posted to a blog before, so I hope this works. I admit that I'm one of the folks you described in a very early post who cringes when he hears a "Christian" perspective on political and/or social issues is coming. It's nice to hear a Christian viewpoint who actually quotes scripture and remembers that the focus of the religion was once Jesus and his spiritual and social teachings--radical then as now.

An important thing that's been on my mind lately (I'm by no means alone) is the issue you raise regarding health care/health insurance. This, in my mind is going to be a real crisis-point issue of the next ten years. The fact that medical emergencies are the direct cause of so many bankruptcy filings is a symptom of the tremendous problems related to health care expenses and coverage.

It's too bad the Clinton-era attempts at reform in the health care were such a miserable failure (I won't assign fault here, though blame could be spread widely). What has resulted, in my mind, is a continuation of the (egregious) status quo--tens of millions are uninsured and many more are underinsured. Many of us who have insurance (is it enough?) pay incredible amounts of money for coverage despite having "good jobs" which offer assistance.

I'm not sure what the solution or series of steps toward a solution is, but this is a huge problem we must address from a national policy perspective. And at the end of the day, I'm still left with Brazil's question which has been twisted out of shape by so many but still merits asking with an honest, thoughtful, and spiritual mindset: What would Jesus do?

March 15, 2005 at 10:23 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home